Monday, August 2, 2010

Missing My "ME TIME"

Well, it's official...Reiny has given up her naps altogether! How is this possible? 3 weeks ago she was napping beautifully...not just beautifully, but beyond what was normal! I would feed her lunch, take her potty, then just lay her down in bed and walk out...BOOM...out like a light for 3 HOURS!!!

Now, for the last 3 weeks I have been desperately grasping at straws trying to get her to sleep for even just an hour during the day...NO DICE!!! She's done...bird-finger, Mom...I've got more important things to do (apparently that includes bouncing up and down on my bed and taking off all my clothes and throwing them out of the crib).

I guess I should be grateful that this most-difficult adjustment has come now as opposed to 3 1/2 months from now when I'm trying to deal with a newborn, but still...she's only 2 1/2 years old! My sister's 6 year old still takes naps during the day! Beyond that...I NEED NAPS DURING THE DAY!!!

So here's my plea...if any of you wise mothers have any suggestions for me that are more helpful than my husband's ("just get over it...she's not tired") then please let me know. I've tried having more activity in the mornings, less activity, book reading, less sugar intake...pretty much everything I can think of short of drugging her to sleep, which at this point seems like a viable option. If not...I'll learn to deal with my very active and emotional child's new schedule. With any luck, I won't need medicated for this!

2 comments:

Taylor's said...

I would call it quiet time. Maybe put a book or two in the bed with her so she can "read" to herself.

And seriously my six year old is so abnormal. She just loves her sleep - but she is weaning from naps because of starting first grade.

Is she is a "big girl bed" yet? Do you think that could be the problem? I bet she is just feeling like she needs to be "big" because of having a little sister in a couple of months.

I would let her know she has until a clock goes off or something like that to spend in her room. If she falls asleep TURN OFF of the clock!

I will most definitely keep you in my prayers! Missing your guts like crazy!

Dan and Patrice said...

Sorry Friend....welcome to my world!!! Miss you!

I would do quiet time...i hear that works!

XOXO