Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's true what they say...

There's no place like home!!! Oh how I just love Kauai...it really is starting to feel like my 2nd home. I know where everything is, where to find the best deals, and even the best places to eat. We had such an amazing time on the island. This trip was definitely not as stress-free as last year's trip, but I'm sure the 6 hour plane trip with the 2 year old had something to do with that.

Reiny LOVED the ocean!!! She was not even the least bit afraid of the waves or sand. One day the weather called for high-surf on the western shore, so we drove over there to see what their definition of high-surf was...oh, holy crap!!! Those waves were HUGE!!! (that's what she said :) ) There were locals on the beach with their surfboards saying "dude...no way am I going in today!" I look over and there's Reiny making a bee-line for the water! Needless to say...she LOVED IT!!!

We also took a train ride through an old sugar plantation, fed some wild pigs (and goats), went kayaking on the Wailua River up to Secret Falls, took a catamaran boat trip around the Na Pali coast to see whales and dolphins, went to Luau Kalamaku, and still found time to relax by the ocean and watch Reiny bury Daddy in the sand.

We also went snorkeling with sea turtles and Reiny would lay on her boogie-board with a "peep hole" into the water and watch the fish swim underneath her. She loved the brightly colored ones!

The whole trip was just awesome, and everywhere we went the people kept saying they couldn't believe how well-behaved Reiny was! I thought so too!! When we took our boat trip, the crew was so worried that she was going to be seasick that they stuck us in the back of the boat. Reiny had about enough of that and ran to the front, held on to the railing and was squeeling at the top of her lungs "wook at me! wook at me!!! wook mommy a doffin!" There were grown men spewing there guts out off the back and there's my 2 year old trying to jump in to catch the dolphins!!! It was amazing!

We went to a luau and Reiny just watched in total amazement! During the dinner portion, Reiny went up on stage and started shaking her hips. Everyone started to laugh and some people were actually taking pictures of her!! AHH...she'll probably be the next star on YouTube!

We had such a great time as a family and I even got to do a little shopping this time before we took off, much to Jordan's dismay :) Reiny slept the whole flight home and picked up her usually schedule like she'd never missed a beat!



Now we're home and potty training!! Reiny's doing awesome. I was ready to quit half way into the first day, and started crying when she wet her 5th pair of panties. Reiny said "Mommy, are you sad?" and I said, "yes, Reiny, I just want you to pee in the potty." She said, ok, and went in the bathroom and peed in the potty!!! After that she didn't have anymore accidents that day. On Sunday she only had two accidents, one as they were saying the closing prayer in Sacrament. She said I have to pee and I ran her to the bathroom, but we didn't make it in time. then during the Super Bowl we all got distracted and forgot to take her when she asked...opps! In any case, she's doing awesome with that too and today (cross my fingers) no accidents yet!!! Yay!! Wish us luck...we might be getting somewhere!

5 comments:

Megan said...

What a trip! I am so jealous! I have never been to Hawaii, but I hope I can go someday:) How awesome that Reiny did so well...it must be nice to have a flexible child!

Dan and Patrice said...

Oh, what a wonderful trip for you guys! Can we go next time, pllllease???
I really want to go to the Big Island next. Someday?

Taylor's said...

Reiny looks like a natural and that swimsuit is to die for - I wonder where you got that from (wink, wink).

We really do miss your family - it feels like ages since we have talked or even seen each other - did I do something to upset you?

And congrats on the potty training. It will get easier!

Jess said...

I want a full report one of these days, the girls keep asking for Reiny to come over and play. Your trip sound amazing! Good luck with the potty training, we are in that boat too!

Allison said...

What beautiful pics! My fav part though was Reiny being so caring when she upset you! What a cutie-pie!!! I'm glad you all had a lot of fun and that potty training is going well.