Friday, June 26, 2009

Reflection

Well, I've gone back and forth in my mind on whether or not to post about this, but the more I think about my personal motivation for this blog, the more I realize this event needs to be documented somewhere.

A few weeks ago I was rushing around trying desperately to get my very cranky toddler ready for bed while my husband ran out the door to play in the annual Leadore "Father/Son" basketball game at the school as a favor for a friend. I threw Reiny in the tub and began scrubbing away and then my hand hit something unfamiliar...a bump, a LARGE bump on her chest just to the inside of her right breast. I spun her around and was immediately panic-strucken by the large protruberance coming out of the inside of my tiny little girl's chest. Just then the phone rings and it's my friend Debbie calling to harass me for not coming to the game. I burst into tears and said that I just found a lump on Reiny and I need to talk to Jordan. Debbie ran and got Jordan and he flew home in record time. We said a prayer then Jordan gave her a blessing.

The next day Reiny and I went to the pediatrician. He couldn't tell me what the lump was but felt somewhat comfortable in saying it was just a cyst. Not exactly the news I wanted, but ok...he then referred us to a plastic surgeon. The next week we went to the surgeon and he examined Reiny. I've never seen her hold so still. He gave us a 92% chance it was just a cyst and scheduled her for surgery the following week. First of all...why do doctors give % chances? Here's my percent, doc, 9 out of 10 times, you'll be wrong in your assumptions.

The following week we checked into the hospital bright and early, met with the anestesiologist, and preped Reiny for surgery. I had to sit in a holding room while I watched a male nurse with HUGH earrings and tattoos take my baby from me. Reiny was so loopy at this time she really didn't mind. She just waved and said "buh-bye mom." I burst into tears.

The doctor came and talked to us and said that the surgery should take about 10 min and then Reiny would need to wake up from anesthesa so we would probably see her in about 30 min. In the waiting room I watched the clock tick past 30 min, 45 min, 1 hour, 1 hour 15 min. I'm panicing again...for good reason! Finally the doctor comes and gets us. He takes us into this little room and expains that first, it was not a cyst, second it was very deep in her chest, and third, he felt the need to send it to a pathologist. Panic, fear, every horrible thought just streamed through my brain. A few minutes later we went and got Reiny. She was happy to see us and excited to show me her popcicle. We took her home and she was herself again. I was amazed that she had no lasting effects from the surgery. However, now was the tough part...the waiting!

We called our families and gave them the news. My family decided to fast that next Sunday that the results would be negative for, dare I say it...CANCER! We left that weekend and went to SLC, UT for my triathlon. That Sunday afternoon we got a call from the surgeon. Holding my breath...I listened to Jordan's side of the conversation. Hope and relief spread across his face. Reiny was fine. The pathology report showed that she had had a blood vessel burst deep in her chest and her body started to encase it in fibrous tissue. Totally benign...peace again!

That next week we took her to have the stitches removed. The doctor told me then that he had been a lot more concerned than he let on to us the week before. He even said he was almost certain the report would show some form of cancer cells. Yet again...WRONG DOC!!! I can't complain. This surgeon did a great job with Reiny and she has just the smallest scar. I've been rubbing vitamin E on it every day and I think it's starting to fade already.

Thank you to everyone who fasted and prayed on Reiny's behalf. I don't even want to imagine my life without her in it. I'm so grateful for my little girl and for my Heavenly Father who hears and answers prayers.

2 comments:

Taylor's said...

Susan you will be so glad you posted about this - when you make your blog book you will be thankful you included such a big trial in your blog.

Reiny means the world to us - we were so worried - I hope you did not mind that I blog about her needing prayers, I just thought the more prayers the better and I also posted on Facebook about and you would not believe the number of people that included your family in their daily prayers!

I, too, am do relieved to find the great news! And you know what - our extended family that is not even members of the church fasted! I am so glad the Lord hears and answers prayers!

I sure do love your family. Can't wait for the 4th of July - and Malisia's tests were a false positive, she is acting totally fine!

Arnold Family said...

I'm so glad everything is okay with Reiny. She is very cute! I hope you guys are doing okay (other then your recent scare!)